Even though we’ll probably end up leaving no surface left unaltered by the end of this project, the upstairs was definitely a place that we knew needed some work. We’ve been trying to figure out the house’s story as we pull up rugs and knock down walls, but it seems that it’s undergone many changes since it was originally built.
The upstairs in general was a little gloomy, but the master bedroom looked like a haunted dollhouse where they used to lock up little kids.
We did the only thing we could do, aside from lowering the floors, and knocked into the ceiling. Best decision ever. Well, for me especially. Percy was buried in blown-in insulation for a few hours which didn’t look very fun, but it was undoubtedly worth it. There were still a few days of moving stuff around, re-insulating, rocking, and mudding ahead, but it was an instant relief to have that ceiling bumped up.
Plus, once we started ripping the wallpaper down, there were layers of past wallpaper underneath. We’ve got some plaster plans in the works for the walls, but definitely plan on keeping some glimpses or even walls of the old floral prints.
Check out our snowstorm of insulation and vintage wallpaper works of art below.